Urban Science is a business-solutions company focused on supporting the needs of the sales and marketing function of the automotive industry. We leverage a scientific methodology to help our client partners sell more vehicles, improve profitability and increase customer loyalty. And we do that by helping solve their toughest challenges including planning an optimal dealership network, improving individual dealer performance and efficiently converting sales leads into sales. In short, we guide business through science—and we’ve been doing this since 1977.
The Account Manager/Account Executive holds ultimate responsibility for one or multiple client accounts. This role is responsible for growing profitable business on the account(s) by ensuring strong client relationships and developing and selling additional Urban Science solutions. This role is also responsible for managing their team’s revenue and profitability as it relates to the overall VMS521 goals for the office (Vision, Mission, and Strategy for 5 years out, 2 years out and 1 year out).
• Contributes directly to the company’s growth and diversification efforts by developing new client relationships that result in the delivery of additional Urban Science solutions.
• Builds and maintains strong and effective internal relationships to foster collaboration and knowledge sharing across teams and offices.
• Establishes long-term business relationships with clients and develops a firm understanding of client’s business needs in order to lead negotiations to renew, deliver and/or add new client contracts.
• Effectively responds to client inquiries/requests in a timely manner to help improve client satisfaction.
• Frequently interacts with clients to provide consulting advice, design and present proposals, negotiate agreements, renew contracts, assist with decision making and manage client expectations.
• Maintains effective communications with Urban Science Managing Directors, Global Account Executives and the Practice organization to ensure proper alignment of company resources with client needs.
• Effectively collaborates with Managing Directors, Global Account Executives and the Practice organization to establish on-going strategic plans and business goals for the designated client.
• Actively assesses competitive conditions and makes written assessments and recommendations to the Practice organization regarding existing product improvements and new product specifications necessary to: (a) maintain “best product” status, and (b) satisfy client requirements.
• Responsible for adherence to the CRM and deal review PMO process to ensure projects are accurately budgeted for and SOWs follow internal requirements.
• Serves as liaison between client and Urban Science technical staff on development projects to clearly communicate client needs and facilitate appropriate deliverable time frames based on internal capabilities and work load.
• Assumes ultimate responsibility for project outcomes including delivery of projects that are on time, within budget and at an exceptional level of quality.
• Responsible for accurate review and oversight of the teams budget, including income statements, revenues, margins, profitability targets and labor, to ensure account strategy and opportunities are in alignment with the office budget and profitability targets.
• Responsible for developing a strategic account sales plan 1 and 2 years out in order to anticipate staffing and infrastructure needs to support sales initiatives.
• Coordinates with individuals or teams to complete analyses, tasks and projects on time and with high quality.
• Adheres to quality control standards for Urban Science and client organizations.
• Expertly leads presentations to internal and external clients, using appropriate presentation tools, to effectively introduce new products/solutions and/or present project outcomes.
• Provides input to the local Managing Director in connection with assessing competitive conditions, in order to detect on time business opportunities and/or deter competitive business threats.
• Actively works with Managing Director to understand and implement solutions to improve NPS (client satisfaction).
• Proactively analyzes client pain reports continuously, and capitalizes on appropriate opportunities to create the potential for additional business.
• Maintains a thorough understanding of one or more Urban Science solutions and applies that knowledge to better meet client needs.
• Actively supports and participates in required Urban Science training programs to achieve targeted development objectives.
• Proactively communicates with upper management to provide updates and report issues in a timely manner.
• Works with Managing Director in completing own annual goal setting and performance review in a timely manner.
• Ultimately responsible for team performance, which includes setting team oriented goals, which are to be reviewed and updated on a regular basis.
• Actively leads, supports and promotes change initiatives within team, and provides direction on how change initiatives impact work flow or performance.
• Actively works with Managing Director and team to support and promote eNPS (internal employee satisfaction) initiatives.
• Works with manager to prioritize other duties as assigned.
Responsible for all aspects of RSTMM (recruit, select, train, manage, motivate) of selected staff which includes the following:
• Interviewing & selection
• Setting objectives
• Conducting performance appraisals
• Merit, bonus & equity compensation analysis
• Assigning and prioritizing work
• Approval of timesheets
• Establish and maintain quality, quantity and timeliness of work
• Employee development, career planning and promotions
• Oversee training
• Coach, mentor, manage and motivate
• Interpret and carry out established corporate policy, including disciplinary procedures.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, ability and/or competency needed for successful performance in the role. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Verbal Communication: Requires the ability to compose and verbally deliver information of varying levels, using appropriate grammar, tone, inflection and non-verbal cues, while also listening to and correctly deciphering verbal communication delivered by others
• Written Communication: Requires the ability and capacity to communicate ideas, facts and data in writing using appropriate grammar, syntax and sentence structure
• Analytical Thinking: Requires the ability to understand a situation by breaking it apart into smaller pieces, and/or tracing the implications of a situation in a step-by-step causal way
• Results Oriented: Requires the ability to strive for optimal results by taking responsibility for timeliness, commitment to task and adherence to performance standards
• Ethics & Integrity: Requires the ability to behave in a trustworthy & transparent manner
• Teamwork & Cooperation: Requires the ability to work cooperatively with others and be part of a team
• Self-Control: Requires the ability to keep emotions under control and to restrain from negative actions or behaviors
• Information Seeking: Requires the drive to gain a deeper understanding of work related issues or events by making a concerted effort to gather information and seek out development opportunities
• Initiative: Requires the drive to go above and beyond in order to improve or enhance job results
• Quality Control: Requires the ability to monitor and check work related information and deliverables ensuring high quality and accuracy
• Customer Service: Requires the ability to understand and help/assist both internal and external customers and meet their needs
• Flexibility/Adaptability: Requires the ability to adapt to and work effectively within a variety of situations, individuals or groups, as well as understand and appreciate different and opposing perspectives
• Conceptual Thinking: Requires the ability to understand a situation or problem by putting the different pieces together to see the bigger picture
• Interpersonal Understanding: Requires the ability to understand other’s feelings and concerns, and to value individual differences in people
• Self-Confidence: Requires the ability to express confidence in dealing with challenging circumstances, in reaching decisions or forming opinions and in handling failures or set-backs constructively
• Organizational Commitment: Requires the ability and willingness to align his/her own behavior with the needs, priorities and goals of the organization
• Relationship Building: Requires the ability to effectively build and maintain friendly, warm relationships or networks of contacts with clients/customers
• Assertiveness: Requires the ability and intent to appropriately display assertive behaviors to ensure others follow and comply with given directions
• Developing & Coaching: Requires the ability, desire and intent to teach and foster the development and long term capability of one or more employees by providing coaching, direction and feedback to enhance performance
• Strategic Influence: Requires the ability to effectively persuade, convince, and influence others in order to gain support to achieve work related goals/objectives
• Team Leadership: Requires the ability to effectively take a role as leader of a team or department with a desire to help the group achieve business related outcomes
• Database: Requires the ability to understand database concepts related to Urban Science products/solutions
• Math & Statistics: Requires the ability to select and apply the right mathematical methods or formulas to solve a problem; requires basic descriptive statistics knowledge and the ability to understand and interpret statistical analyses
• MS Office: Requires advanced knowledge and experience with Excel, PowerPoint and Word; intermediate knowledge of Visio preferred
• Technical/Software: Requires the ability to understand and work with software tools & packages used by Urban Science
• Time Management: Requires advanced capability to prioritize competing demands, manage multiple concurrent tasks and effectively manage meeting agendas on schedule
• Project Management: Requires full responsibility for the delivery of multiple, concurrent account projects that are on time, within budget and at high quality
• Sales & Business Development: Requires advanced knowledge and experience with sales and business development processes
• Budget/Finance: Requires the ability to understand, analyze, forecast and review income statements, revenues, margins, labor costs, profitability targets and impacts on profitability; requires responsibility for managing the profitability of team’s budget and developing pricing schedules that meet profitability targets
• Negotiation: Requires strong formal negotiation skills including the ability to explain and justify pricing, scope, cost estimates, as well as internal and external impacts; must be able to develop strong positive relationships with purchasing departments; successful completion and application of a negotiation training/program is strongly preferred
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
• University degree required; technical degrees are strongly preferred (i.e., engineering, applied math, statistics, applied science, information systems, operations research, etc.) from an accredited college or university, or equivalent foreign institution. Non-technical degrees will be considered if candidate possesses appropriate level of analytical and technical knowledge required for the role; Masters or advanced degree preferred
• Minimum of 10 years related work experience required (13+ years experience preferred)
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS:
• Certification of Consultant in two Practice areas required (or external equivalent)
• Management Fundamentals required (or external equivalent)
• Intro to Operations Research (or external equivalent)
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This description is intended to describe the type and level of work being performed by a person assigned to this position. It is NOT an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities required by a person so classified. The job may require additional hours beyond the normal 40-hour workweek.