Urban Science is a business-solutions company focused on supporting the needs of the sales and marketing function of the automotive industry. We leverage a scientific methodology to help our client partners sell more vehicles, improve profitability and increase customer loyalty. And we do that by helping solve their toughest challenges including planning an optimal dealership network, improving individual dealer performance and efficiently converting sales leads into sales. In short, we guide business through science—and we’ve been doing this since 1977.
The Developer will support the setup and maintenance of Business Management Intelligence Systems. With limited guidance, the Developer will design and develop features within new and existing software applications and provides technical assistance in support of the application.
• Collaborate closely with team members and the client-facing team to deliver reliable, accurate and secure software solutions to our clients in the area of Dealer Business Management.
• Program and implement self-contained software to automate processes, such as monthly data updates or file feed generation. This includes design, coding, participation in code reviews and unit testing.
• Database manipulation for the customization, configuration and maintenance of custom client web solutions.
• Perform coding and testing functions, primarily in SQL and VBA, associated with the development of custom client reports.
• Extract, manipulate, and analyze data using company software, Microsoft Excel and SQL Server.
• Plan, test and deploy ongoing updates to system.
• Undertake testing functions, both during development and on an ongoing basis, to make sure that the system meets functionality specifications and business requirements
• Document existing and/or new processes related to any developed functionality.
• Adhere to, support, and continuously improve processes.
• Provide technical support to internal clients currently utilizing software applications. Effectively respond to their requests in a timely manner to help improve client satisfaction.
• Adhere to quality control standards for Urban Science and client organizations.
• Coordinate with individuals or teams to complete analyses, tasks and projects on time and with high quality.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, abilities, and competencies required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Ability to learn and use Urban Science’s Software Development Life Cycle.
• Proficiency in Visual Studio, Team Foundation Server (TFS) and SQL Server.
• Ability to perform basic Object Oriented programming in C#.
• Solid knowledge of SQL, XML, CSS and VBA.
• Understanding of relational database concepts and general data structures.
• Ability to create and modify complex SQL queries, user defined functions and stored procedures.
• Understanding of ETL (extract, transform, and load) with ability to apply concepts to daily work.
• Requires demonstrated knowledge of MS Excel for charting and graphing of data, writing formulas, utilizing functions, and filtering, sorting and formatting of data; ability to program within Microsoft Office applications using VBA is required.
• Able to break down requirements into smaller tasks for more accurate estimations using given requirements and existing conceptual design.
• Ability to prioritize competing demands, manage multiple concurrent tasks and adapt to changing priorities.
• Basic business financial acumen including knowledge of financial statements strongly preferred.
• Desire and ability to learn the business application of our solutions.
• Verbal Communication: Requires the ability to compose and verbally deliver information of varying levels, using appropriate grammar, tone, inflection and non-verbal cues, while also listening to and correctly deciphering verbal communication delivered by others
• Written Communication: Requires the ability and capacity to communicate ideas, facts and data in writing using appropriate grammar, syntax and sentence structure
• Analytical Thinking: Requires the ability to understand a situation by breaking it apart into smaller pieces, and/or tracing the implications of a situation in a step-by-step causal way
• Results Oriented: Requires the ability to strive for optimal results by taking responsibility for timeliness, commitment to task and adherence to performance standards
• Ethics & Integrity: Requires the ability to behave in a trustworthy & transparent manner
• Teamwork & Cooperation: Requires the ability to work cooperatively with others and be part of a team
• Self-Control: Requires the ability to keep emotions under control and to restrain from negative actions or behaviors
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
• Must have Baccalaureate degree in an appropriate IT field such as Computer Science or Computer Engineering from an accredited U.S. college or university, equivalent foreign institution, or equivalent experience.
• Must have minimum of three years relevant work experience.
• Exposure to basic software development and testing methodologies.
• Database experience required.
• SQL and MS .NET Certifications preferred.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This description is intended to describe the type and level of work being performed by a person assigned to this position. It is NOT an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities required by a person so classified. The job may require additional hours beyond the normal 40-hour workweek.