Urban Science is a business-solutions company focused on supporting the needs of the sales and marketing functions of the automotive industry. We leverage a scientific methodology to help our client partners sell more vehicles, improve profitability and increase customer loyalty. We do that by helping solve their toughest challenges including planning an optimal dealership network, improving individual dealer performance and efficiently converting sales leads into sales. In short, we guide business through science—and we’ve been doing this since 1977.
With limited guidance, the Developer will design and develop features within new and existing software applications and provide technical assistance in support of the application.
• Program and implement new functionality for the Urban Science software applications (including design, coding, participation in code reviews, unit testing, and configuration/release management).
• Program and implement self-contained software to automate processes, such as Single Sign On, monthly data updates or file feed generation.
• Program and implement new features in support of new releases of existing software applications.
• Participate in the development of design specifications with other members of the software development team.
• Database manipulation for the customization, configuration and maintenance of custom client web solutions.
• Perform coding and testing functions, primarily in SQL and VBA, associated with the development of custom client reports.
• Test new application features, including identification of possible user actions and potential problems with current design/functionality.
• Write necessary technical documentation in support of new features within the application software.
• Plan, test and deploy ongoing updates to multiple systems.
• Adhere to, support, and continuously improve processes.
• Utilize tracking system to identify bugs/defects/problems with existing software applications and apply approved methodologies for correction.
• Provide technical support to internal clients currently utilizing software applications, including assisting with system set up and local application customization/development.
• Complete tasks and support the team utilizing the Scrum methodology.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, abilities, and competencies required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Ability to learn and use Urban Science’s Software Development Life Cycle.
• Ability to learn and apply Agile development practices.
• Familiarity with tools such as Visual Studio.NET, SQL Server, Nunit, TFS.
• Identification and application of MVC and standard OOP/OOD
• ADO.NET and Entity Relational Modeling including SQL Server database design and implementation experience, Visual Studio Database Project, Transact SQL (T-SQL), Views, Object-Relational Mapping tools, and Stored Procedures.
• C#, .NET Framework along with basic knowledge of IIS
• Web service experience (or desire and ability to learn WCF, SAML).
• Basic understanding of ETL (extract, transform, and load).
• Able to break down requirements into smaller tasks for more accurate estimations using given requirements and existing conceptual design.
• Ability to independently review requirements and write design documents.
• Ability to write test cases and specifications, execute some performance testing, automate tests.
• Requires ability to:
o Understand a situation by breaking it apart into smaller pieces, and/or tracing the implications of a situation in a step-by-step causal way.
o Analyze requirements to determine how applications function, in order to build effective designs and tests.
o Create and maintain strong working relationships with colleagues and/or customers.
o Work cooperatively with others and be part of a team.
o Behave in a trustworthy and transparent manner.
o Monitor and check work deliverables ensuring high quality, accuracy and having a strong attention to detail.
o Compose and verbally deliver information of varying levels. Communicate ideas, facts and data in writing.
o Prioritize competing demands, manage multiple concurrent tasks and adapt to changing priorities.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
• Must have Baccalaureate degree in an appropriate IT field such as Computer Science or Computer Engineering from an accredited U.S. college or university, equivalent foreign institution, or equivalent experience.
• Experience with software development and testing methodologies (performance/load testing, scaffolding development, interactive development, configuration management).
• Experience with databases, programming languages, and product development processes.
• SQL and MS .NET Certifications preferred.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This description is intended to describe the type and level of work being performed by a person assigned to this position. It is NOT an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities required by a person so classified. The job may require additional hours beyond the normal 40-hour workweek.